If you’re like me you have been a fan of make up artist Sam Fine forever. He is one of the most influential make up artists among Hollywood’s hottest stars.
Well a few days ago, the ex and the boy and I were leaving Brunch and I bumped into who? Mr Sam Fine himself… So after I told him how much I loved him and that I follow him on twitter. @samfinebeauty He gave me the best hug, and I bid him a great Sunday. My son later said I ditched them, but hell I can see him at home (just kidding slightly)….
Like my momma says “Give Me my Flowers while I can smell them…” as opposed to saying nice things after she’s gone, and shoot I wanted the man to know that I admired his work..To his face.
As a make up artist and licensed hair stylist of more decades than I care to repeat, the education that I am getting from following him on twitter is GOLDEN…and here are the some of the Tips I’ve gotten from his timeline.
- He prefers Cream Foundation.
- It doesn’t take the most expensive products to get a flawless face, just some know how, good products that work, and practicing what works and trying new things when it doesn’t.
- I’ve also learned to pair Bronzer with blush, they go hand and hand.
- Use the right brushes for the right product.
- Smokey Eyes help to hide or diminish the look of puffy eyes.
- He’s not above getting Wet and Wild, specifically he likes their; High Pigment lipsticks, and bronzers.
- For Flawless Finishes on women of Color you need not look further than your drug store. You caneither get the Cover Girl Queen Collection Compact, Black Opal’s Creme Stick or try Iman’s cream to powder foundation.
- For concealers, you might have to invest more and get Dermablend, Bobby Brown, or Laua Mercier.
- For a Dewy fresh look apply concealer, but couple it with a blush, for a nice Contrast.
- Favorite Bronzers are Cargo, Queen Collection, Wet and Wild, MAC, and Lorac.
To soften Expression Lines around the mouth, try Prevage’s eye cream.
- Mascara for Long luscious lashes, Voluminous Waterproof as it builds fast.
- Synthetic Make up brushes are easier to maintain.
- Wash your brushes in Dawn dish washing liquid. It helps to break up the grease.
- Top seven products every woman should have in her make up bag, moisturizer, concealer, foundation, powder, bronzer, mascara, and lip stick/gloss.
- In order to make your lipstick last, apply concealer and blot, apply lip liner, richly pigmented lipstick and then gloss.
- Sam suggests Laura Mercier’s Oil Free Primer for Oily Skin.
As I went through his many tweets, I have since put a lot of them into my make- up repertoire. As a make up junkie though it is good to know that the average girl can go to her local drug store and put together a look and not feel like she is less than or moreover be a slave to more expensive products trying to get a “celeb” look.
As a woman of color you have got to give kudos to the man who has made beauty his life. I don’t know about you, but when I feel beautiful it permeates to every other aspect of my being. And even if you can’t afford to hire Mr Fine yourself. Or spring for his wonderful dvd .
You can at the very least follow him on twitter and absorb it…because trust me it is an education.
View Sam Fine’s Most Common Make Up Mistakes